Carson Baptist Church celebrates 110 years
Carson Baptist Church celebrated its 110th anniversary August 31st with special services and a message by former pastor Bro. Ervin Goss (abt.1966-1967).
Several former pastors were present for the celebration including Bro. Ervin Goss, Bro. Randal Walker, Bro. Varion Stogner, Martha Cole who is the widow of Bro. Russell Harris and current pastor Bro. Benjimen Sessums.
A presentation of a special Bible was made to Sybil Cole for her 65 years of service as the church’s pianist and Duke and Linda Barnes of Hathorn presented a concert of special music after lunch.
The history of the church serves as a reminder of where lies the center of past community life. In June 1904 during a business meeting in Antioch Baptist Church it was requested that a new church be formed in the Carson area because of those having to travel as far by foot or buggy to either Bethany or Antioch to attend worship services.
Original members of the church at Carson were: Mr. and Mrs. C. D. McNease and their son Oliver, Mr. and Mrs. J. W. McPhail and their son Giles, Mr. and Mrs. J. I. Yates, Florence Laird and son Charley, E. M. Worthy, J. H. Garner, Arthur Nelson and Mr. and Mrs. W. M. Worthy.
The first pastor was Bro. L. D. Posey and in 1905 the first church building was completed and there were 58 members within a year’s time. John Baker (Annie Daley’s grandfather) is said to have sawed the logs from which the boards of the church were made. Baptisms were first performed at the water pool of Myers’ farm but the spring water was pretty cold so later on baptisms were done in Jaybird Creek at the Atwood Water Mill.
In 1924 a tornado severely damaged the church building knocking it off its foundation and the church was rebuilt basically as it is today though there have been several renovations to the facilities since then and the first indoor baptism was held in 1958.
Interesting financial facts of the church include the cost of the land for the church in 1905 was $20, the operating budget for the year in 1910 was $393.05 and the cost of construction of the fellowship hall in 1971 was $14,000. Just a kitchen renovation is planned in the new future with an estimated cost of $12,000.
Current deacons include Tom Nelson, Dennis Bedwell, Gary Wheat, Lynn Holloway and Ricky Barrett and music worship leader is Lyn Holloway.
The church bell rescued from the bell tower after the tornado still rings occasionally calling those around to worship services and serves to remind the surrounding community that they are welcome at Carson Baptist Church and the mission statement of the church continues to be, “Enter to Worship, Depart to Serve.
The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has taken the nation and social media by storm over the past several months. The... read more