Jefferson Davis County Courthouse chosen for preservation grant
Published 5:55 pm Friday, January 21, 2022
The historic Jefferson Davis County Courthouse on Columbia Avenue in Prentiss has been awarded $220,800 from the Community Heritage Preservation Grant program with 17 other preservation and restoration projects across the state. The grant funds are marked to be used for roof repairs to the courthouse.
At its regular meeting on Jan. 21, the Board of Trustees of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History (MDAH) awarded over $3 million on behalf of the Community Heritage Preservation Grant program to 18 preservation and restoration projects from across the state. The Community Heritage Preservation Grant program, authorized and funded by the Mississippi Legislature, helps preserve and restore historic courthouses and schools in Certified Local Government communities and other historic properties.
“The Legislature has saved hundreds of significant Mississippi properties through this program,” said MDAH director Katie Blount. “The Department of Archives and History is grateful for the Legislature’s support and pleased to be able to help preserve these local treasures.”
Other grants awarded are as follows:
- Auburn, Natchez, Adams County, awarded $234,192 the restoration of its portico columns, Billiard Hall and Duncan Pavilion.
- Alcorn County Courthouse, Corinth, Alcorn County, awarded $150,000 for courtroom and interior restoration
- Carrollton Water Tower, Carrollton, Carroll County, awarded $47,784 to be repainted
- Chickasaw County Courthouse, Houston, Chickasaw County, awarded $214,690 for window replacement
- Saenger Theater, Hattiesburg, Forrest County, awarded $250,000 for interior restoration
- Holmes County Courthouse, Lexington, Holmes County, awarded $276,630 for second floor courtroom restoration and masonry repointing
- Fulton Grammar School, Fulton, Itawamba County, awarded $93,860 for roof repairs
- Madison County Jail (Old), Canton, Madison, awarded $54,456 for roof and interior repairs
- Columbia Waterworks, Columbia, Marion County, awarded $274,027 for ADA restrooms, HVAC and electrical installation and interior paint
- Booker T. Washington School, Philadelphia, Neshoba County, awarded $115,200 for gym floor and bleacher repairs
- Noxubee County Library, Macon, Noxubee County, awarded $80,000 for roof restoration, masonry and plaster repairs
- McCormick Administration Building, Senatobia, Tate County, awarded $264,000 for exterior and window restoration and masonry repairs
- Bowmar Elementary School, Vicksburg, Warren County, awarded $245,395 for exterior repairs
- Warren County Courthouse, Vicksburg, Warren County, awarded $100,000 for overall site drainage repairs and masonry wall stabilization
- Edna M. Scott Elementary, Leland, Washington County, awarded $167,920 for exterior repairs and masonry wall stabilization
- Wilkinson County Courthouse, Woodville, Wilkinson County, awarded $168,000 for clock tower stabilization
- Yalobusha County Courthouse, Water Valley, Yalobusha County, awarded $191,275 for window restoration