Bids awarded at the first board meeting of the new year
Published 1:35 pm Friday, January 6, 2023
The Jefferson Davis County Board of Supervisors met for the first meeting of the month Tuesday morning at the board room in Prentiss. The meeting opened with prayer by Rev. Jessie Holloway before the minutes were approved.
The newly governor appointed judge for the 15th Circuit Court District, Brad Touchtone, was first on the agenda and gave a brief introduction about himself and his intentions as a judge serving Jefferson Davis County.
“Being a judge is not a new thing for me, but this is definitely going to be a new role,” said Touchstone. “I grew up in a humble background and I was raised in a place where money was tight. I am a very conservative person and I respect the fact that the money we spend is not ours,” he added.
Email newsletter signup
“Anytime I come to you for something it will be well thought out, it will be prudent and I won’t do anything until I talk to you about it. I look forward to working with each and every one of you.”
Annual bids for commodities used by the supervisors were opened. Williams Good Ole Days Buffet was awarded the prisoner meals contract. Williams will be paid $18 per prisoner, per day for meals to include breakfast, a sandwich lunch and dinner. Prisoners are served meals seven days a week.
Hunt Southland was awarded the liquid asphalt bid. Dunn Roadbuilders was awarded the bid for cold mix, with APAC winning the bid for hot mix. The board will re-advertise for bids for limestone and riprap.
Jefferson Davis County was awarded a federal grant to repair two roads in Jefferson Davis County. Sutherland Road in District 3 and Sykes Road in District 5 will receive the grant monies which will pay 75 percent of the repair costs.
In other board news, the board approved the following without opposition:
Approved appointment of Jefferson Davis County Red Cross representative for calendar year 2023.
• Approved rate for litter pickup by contract labor by 2023-current rate $10 per hour or $65 per mile.
• Approved payment of application #2 for Sam Graham Road $9,535.70
• Approved canceling emergency purchase of heating unit repair-Chancery Clerks Office.
• Approved quote for heating unit at Chancery Clerks Office.
• Approved quote for heating unit at District 5 barn.
• Approved advertising in MAS magazine.
• Approved amendment of Board Order of Sept. 6. Of travel for EMA Director from fuel to mileage at MCDEMA Conference.
• Approve employees and officials attending conventions and meetings.
• Approved reimbursement to employee Vernon Dampier for flash drive.
• Approved payment of invoice-Onsolve (CodeRed) $4,860.
• Approved FY23 budget allocation to Kids Hub-$5,000.
• Approved transfer from general fund account to ERBR Same Graham Road $351,590.74.
• Approved second quarter budget appropriations for Tax Assessor $89,427.98, Sheriff $281.081.26 and Jail $90,739.87.
• Approved claims.