Supervisors abandon District 5 road after public hearing
Published 10:19 am Thursday, April 6, 2023
The Jefferson Davis County Board of Supervisors met for the first meeting of the month Monday morning at the board room in Prentiss.
After prayer by Rev. Jessie Holloway, the meeting was called to order and a public hearing was held regarding the abandonment of Rolling B Lane. Rolling B Lane is in District 5 in the Whitesand Community.
No one from the public was present to oppose of the abandonment, so the road has been officially vacated by the county.
Email newsletter signup
County Engineer Les Dungan opened bids for countywide patching and leveling. The bid was awarded to AAA Construction of Florence. Bids were also open for the sale of several pieces of county equipment.
Board Attorney Wes Daughdrill gave his bi-monthly report. Jefferson Davis County Emergency Management Director Jocelyn Ragsdale gave an update report on the storms last week in the northern part of the state and discussed possible donations for those in need in the future.
Approving the Board nominating one private sector representative to the Southern Mississippi Planning and Development District’s Board of Directors to serve until Dec. 31, with Board President signing nomination form was had been continued from the last meeting. Valerie Holliman was selected and will be sent in as a nomination.
In other board news, the board approved the following without opposition before the meeting was adjourned:
• Approved minutes.
• Approved Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance.
• Approved Board President signing Rental Agreement with Pitney Bowes for postage machine at Department of Human Services.
• Approved payment to PERS – Chancery & Circuit Clerks
• Approved request from Earline Jones of Colonial Life to become Agent of Record for all employee benefit products with Colonial Life.
• Approved reimbursement to two employees for overpayment of insurance.
• Approved employee action forms for District 2 and District 4.
• Approved employees attending conventions and meetings for Vernon Dampier, Linda Logan and Harold Rhodes..
• Approved payment to Magco for Sam Graham Road project.
• Approved quote for paper shredder for Board of Supervisors office.
• Approved overage on purchase order 230262; general county gas.
• Approved purchase without a purchase order.
• Approved annual termite inspection at Prentiss Library for $175.00.
• Approved request for advertising county resources at the Run for the Roses.
• Approved transfer of funds to Sam Graham Road project.
• Approved third quarter appropriations for Sheriff and Tax Assessor:
o Sheriff Department – $ 286,358.88
o Jail – $ 77,147.99
o Tax Assessor – $ 87,563.12
• Approved claims.