Stringer appointed to JDC Election Commission
Published 9:17 am Thursday, May 18, 2023
The Jefferson Davis County Board of Supervisors met for the second meeting of the month Monday morning at the board room in Prentiss.
After prayer by Wes Daughdrill, the agenda was approved.
Jefferson Davis County Election Commission Chairperson Linda Speights informed the board of the retirement of Ralph Hanegan as Election Commissioner for District 2. District 2 Supervisor Charles Reid appointed Ann Stringer to fill the position until a special election can be held in November 2024.
Email newsletter signup
Speights informed the board at the last meeting of Senate Bill 2353 which aimed to increase the compensation of poll workers. The board approved unanimously the increase in pay to $200 for Jefferson Davis County poll workers.
The agenda item regarding the discussion and/or approval of Economic Development Board term limits was continued. The agenda item regarding replacing the roof at Red House Voting Precinct was also continued.
County Engineer Les Dungan
Board Attorney Wes Daughdrill and accountant Cathy Slocum gave their reports.
In other board news, the board approved the following without opposition before entering into executive session and the meeting was adjourned:
• Approved minutes.
• Discussion and/or approval of Economic Development Board term limits.
• Approved rescinding board order accepting CPA for one fiscal year and accept the proposal for two years.
• Approved Board President signing Pay Application #11 for the Justice Complex.
• Approved Board President signing NRCS Notice of Grant and Agreement Award – Sykes Road and Sutherland Drive.
• Approved employees attending meetings and conventions
• Approved rescinding order employees attending meetings and conventions
• Approved spreading into Minutes Employee Action Forms – Sheriff Department
• Approved transfer of funds from general account to Chancery – Five Paymode transactions
• Approved payment of invoice
o Columbia Law Enforcement Training Academy for $500 – A. McInnis (correctional officer training May 1 – 19)
o Pearl River Valley Opportunity for $5,000 (allocation of funds – Jan. 1 – Dec. 31)
o Southern MS Planning & Development District for $6,753.33 (Senior citizen Social Services)
o U.S. Bank for $2,000 (lease purchase project administration fees).
• Approved credit card report.
• Approved overage on purchase order 230340 – District 4 for 0.17 tons of hot mix – $19.04
• Approved claims.