Proposed JDCH handbook changes presented to the board
Published 8:00 am Wednesday, June 21, 2023
The Jefferson Davis County School Board met at the Academic Success Center in Carson for its June meeting. All members were present. After a moment of silence and Pledge of Allegiance, the board adopted the agenda.
Dr. Su’Brina Mason presented the board with possible changes to the Jefferson Davis County High School handbook for the upcoming school year.
“These are only proposals, and this is the first read, I want to make that clear,” said Mason.
Email newsletter signup
Proposed changes to the handbook are: Regarding unexcused absences. written notes will not be accepted after 48 hours of absence. Spirit shirts may be worn on Friday only. Sports bags must be clear or mesh. (Clear or mesh backpacks are already required for students in grades 6-12). All appeals must be made in writing when appealing a suspension.
First cell phone offense will be three days in ISS. Second offense results in 30 days or parent/guardian will pay administrative handling fee of $25. Third offense is 60 days or parent/guardian pays $50.
No action was taken regarding the handbook. There are no changes to middle or elementary handbooks.
Bobby Wilson expressed concern regarding the cost of agenda item “Approval of Contract Services for JDCSD Opening Convocation Summer and Breakout Session.” The item was approved by a 3-2 vote.
In other board news, the board approved the following without opposition before the board entered into closed session regarding personnel salary matters and the meeting was adjourned:
•Approved of Financial Update/Financial Statement.
•Approved Ingalls Shipbuilding Resource Recovery (Release & Indemnity).
•Adopted Consent Agenda.
•Approved Tree Cutting by Ricks Tree Services.
• Approved contract for motivational speaker Kimberly Poole Biggs.
• Approved to Transfer funds 2132 (22 Summer Food) to 2133(23 Summer Food Program).
• Approved Revised Finalsite Agreement.
• Approved Cisco Transceiver Modules.
• Approved Extended School Year Remediation and Enrichment Program.
• Approved to request the use of JDCMS grounds, football field, baseball and gym for Prentiss Youth Football Organization.
• Approved officer to work summer school for security.
• Approved Payment Application for Windows, HVAC and Plumbing Renovation (M3A).
• Superintendent’s Actions MS Code Section 37-9-14(z)-Brandon Mancuso, Dr. Jason Mcleod and Dr. Subrina Mason (personnel hire).
• Personnel Resignation -Renee Myers, Javarion Booth, Lucy Daughdrill, Maggie Munn, Khadeeja Milloy (Exit Interviews).
• Approved request to rescind resignation.
• Personnel recommendation new hire, employee status change, renewal professional, re-employment recommendation and substitute list.
• Approved student transfer expectation MS Code Section 37-15-29.
• Approved claims.