Budget approval, bid opening among county’s business Monday
Published 9:04 am Thursday, August 24, 2023
The Jefferson Davis County Board of Supervisors met for the second August meeting Monday morning in Prentiss. Board Attorney Wes Daughdrill opened with prayer before the board adopted the agenda.
Supervisors Terry Mathis and Bobby Rushing were not present at the meeting.
Angelique Smith with Kids Hub submitted the annual budget request of $5,000.
Email newsletter signup
She reported that of the 1,558 children they had serviced throughout the Pine Belt, 64 of them were involved with allegations in Jefferson Davis County. Allegations included child sexual abuse, felony physical abuse, witness to violent crime and human trafficking. The board approved the budget request.
A bid opening was held for a dump truck for District 3. Truckworx of Richland was the lowest bidder in the amount of $155,000.
Kyle East with Dungan Engineering and the board acknowledged receipt of bids and consider award of the NRCS EWP for Sykes and Sutherland Roads to the low bidder.
County CPA Cathy Slocum and Attorney Wes Daughdrill gave end of the month reports.
Several school bus turnarounds were approved. In District 3 at 58 Burkett Road, gravel; 44 Miller Drive turnaround and 75 Green Keys Lane, turnaround, gravel and limbs. In District 4 at 889 Mt. Olive Road, turnaround.
Turnarounds in District 5 at 46 Mikell Trail and 4031 Hwy 84 will be continued in the supervisor’s absence.
The board approved acceptance of opioid settlement check in the amount of $3792.95.
Paving was postponed this week due to the dangers of high temperatures.
No action was taken on Board President signing Flex Plan Supplement Form with Colonial Life.
In other news, the board approved the following without opposition adjourning
• Approved minutes.
• Approved spreading county burn ban into the minutes.
• Approved Board President signing the JDC Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan.
• Approved Board President signing title, Power of Attorney to Transfer Motor Vehicle, & Odometer Disclosure Statement on the 2011 Dodge Charger involved in a wreck.
• Approved Board President signing Computer Software Support Agreements Addendum with Delta Computer Systems, Inc. (Chancery Clerk, Board, and Tax Assessor.)
• Approved payment of invoices to SMPDD for Senior Citizen Services for $6,753.33.
• Approved removing the following items from inventory: Tax Assessor: Asset #1750 – Lexmark 2590 printer and Asset #1751 – HP 2035 Laser printer; Maintenance: Asset #740 – MTD H. W. Lawn Mower, Asset #742 – Blower, Asset #743 – Poulan Lawn Mower and Asset #1763 – Lawn Mower push Hi-wheel 22; Sheriff: Asset #1939 – 2011 Dodge Charger; District 3: Asset #2070 – Radio CDM 750, Asset #2263 – Radio, Asset #2372 – Weedeater and Asset #2465 – Trimmer.
• Approved claims.