Absentee voting now open for Nov. 7 General Election
Published 2:43 pm Thursday, October 12, 2023
Absentee voting is now open for the Nov. 7 General Election.
Anyone who will be out of town on Election Day, is in college, is over the age of 65, or is not physically able to go to the polls, can vote absentee.
Voters should bring a photo ID with them Jefferson Davis Circuit Clerk office, located in the County Building on Third Street. The office is open from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The General Election is Nov. 7. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m.
Email newsletter signup
The office will also be open on the two Saturdays immediately prior to Election Day, Oct. 28 and Nov. 4, from 8 a.m. until noon. Mail-in absentee ballots must be postmarked by election day.
In-person and mail-in voter registration ended earlier this week.
There are several local races on the General Election ballot.
In the District 2 Supervisors race, Derek “Squealer” Hall faces Independent candidate John Emmitt Stamps and Republican candidate Ricky Barrett in the General Election.
Other local races on the General Election ballot will be the District 5 Supervisor and Justice Court Judge Post 1 races.
Jerry Gholar won the democratic nomination for District 5 and will face Independent candidate Charles Hicks in November.
Jurtyne R. Youngblood won the Democratic nomination for Justice Court Judge Post 1 and will face Republican Bobby Wilson in the General Election.
Also on the General Ballot will be the Mississippi House of Representatives District 91 race. Incumbent Bob Evans will face Republican nominee Steve Moreman.
For more voting information or to absentee vote by mail, contact the Jefferson Davis County Circuit Clerk’s office at 601-792-4231.
JDC Election Commissioners requested having two workers to bring the boxes from the precinct to the courthouse after the election. JDC Board Daughdrill is looking into the legalities and if it is possible to employ two.
Gary Bass gave the board an economic development update.
In other business, the board approved the following without opposition before entering into executive session and adjourning:
• Approved minutes.
• Approved school bus turnaround District 3 35 Marcelle Lane.
• Approved request from PRVO for turnaround at 67 Barnes Avenue.
• Approved quote for equipping 2023 Dodge Charger with lights, siren, cage and graphics quotes awarded to Southern Connection..
• Approved spreading inventory report on the minutes.
• Approved deleting from inventory Asset No. 1893, printer from purchasing.
• Approved transfer of funds from general county account to designated account for Broome Road for 100,000.
• Approved payment of invoices for Sam Graham Bridge Project to Magco, Inc. for $221,368.86 and Dungan Engineering for $21,530.07.
• Approved $250 advertising with MS State Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs Inc. State Convention.
• Approved employees attending meetings and conventions.
• Approved Employee Action Form – District 3
• Approved observing Veterans Day, Friday, November 10
• Approved first quarter appropriations for Sheriff for $280,750, Custody of Prisoners for $675,000 and Tax Assessor for $90,000.
• Approved claims.